1) Carrie Underwood – Blown Away … The most recent record from the American Idol star. I love her voice but I love Chris McHugh on drums even more. And on top of that Paul Leim plays on 3 tracks instead of McHugh, but you have to guess which 3. Comment with your guesses if you care to.
2) Kettel – Through Friendly Waters … good old-fashioned Dutch electronica.
3) D’Angelo – Voodoo … I listed this album on an earlier “Recent Listening” post, but here it is again because I’ve been spinning it a ton lately. The grooves are so sick and so epic. Listening tip: pay attention to how Questlove gets energy and dynamics on the kit without ever using sloshy hats or crash ride or anything like that.
4) Earth – The Bees Made Honey In The Lion’s Skull … aaaaaand hand’s down the best album title EV-ER. But this album is not for everyone. Slow instrumental doom rock. So vibey. So cool. So… boring? It’s fine if you think it’s boring. It probably is. But I freaking love it.
5) Maroon 5 – It Won’t Be Soon Before Long … the funky 2nd full length from M5. Cool grooves and aux perc stuff. Matt Flynn is the current drummer in the band, and this was his first record