You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘Keith Carlock’ category.
I’m dipping into the Vic Firth Artist Spotlight series again for Drum Solo Friday. Keith Carlock is up, and LOOK OUT… this dude has some chops.
– Style points for traditional grip.
– Love the constant-right-hand-on-the-ride motif. The slight swing he has in that pocket feels great, and the kick/snare interaction underneath the ride is super hip.
– Open kick drum tone is also super hip (and notably, NOT a buried-beater thing… and he really makes it work).
– I could do without the super fast roll thingy where his left hand always goes to the first rack tom. I’m not saying it isn’t impressive… it just feels like a bummer of a recurring idea compared to the ride/snare/kick stuff.
– Favorite moment: the closing phrase (last 10 sec of his playing)